Am I responsible if a friend got into an accident while using my car?

UPDATED: Apr 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I responsible if a friend got into an accident while using my car?

I let my friend borrow my car for a few days and he got into a car accident which was his fault. Now the insurance company is coming after me for $9000 and is also trying to take my license away, all because the car was registered in my name. I had no insurance which is not required in my state but the accident happened out of state. So I am trying to find the best way to deal with this problem.

Asked on April 12, 2012 under Accident Law, Massachusetts


Madan Ahluwalia / Ahluwalia Law P. C.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Insurance company/person who was hit would sue you and you can sue your friend. You are liable as car owner and your friend is liable as driver.

This question was posted under CA law. In CA, there is a minimum liability insurance requrements. I am reproducing them from DMB website here-

Minimum liability insurance requirements for private passenger vehicles (California Insurance Code §11580.1b) 

  • $15,000 for injury/death to one person.
  • $30,000 for injury/death to more than one person.
  • $5,000 for damage to property.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption