Am I responsible for my wife’s medical bills even if she’s not on my health insurance?

UPDATED: Nov 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I responsible for my wife’s medical bills even if she’s not on my health insurance?

We haven’t been together in 13 years; we just never got divorced. She has still been on my health insurance and now I want to take her off but I just wasn’t to make sure that I’m not legally responsible for her bills.

Asked on November 20, 2011 under Family Law, Alabama


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have been separated for 13 years, you may have issues depending on the state in which you live wherein you may be required to keep her on as a dependent until you show proof of divorce where continued support is not required or wherein she agrees to be taken off of your insurance. You should consult with your HR staff or the insurance company itself to determine your state's individual requirements on support and whether it would be prudent at this point to take her off of the insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption