Can I be held responsible for losses at my former job?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be held responsible for losses at my former job?

I had began a new job at a gas station where I was barely trained. I accidentally undercharged for lottery scratch-offs by not ringing all of them up. They told me they would be taking it out of my check after I quit because they were talking to me in a disrespectful manner. However, then they changed their minds and said take $42 cash remainder of check after I gave the keys and shirt back I refused the money because I wanted it to be documented. I called the state and a lawyer but am still a little confused. The state says the owner cannot take it out of my check unless I sign a form but the employer is refusing to give me money until I pay for the tickets. Am I responsible still even if they do not come out of the check? What is my next step if I’m not responsible and it truly was an accident due to being undertrained and overwhelmed I was alone in the store with no one to ask for help.

Asked on July 18, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In MI, if paycheck a deduction is taken for the benefit of the employer, it must obtain the employee's written consent before each deduction is made and the deduction must not reduce the employee's gross wages to a rate less than the minimum wage. Employers may take deductions from workers' wages if they are required or permitted by law (e.g. employment taxes; child support payments) or by a collective bargaining agreement (e.g. union dues) without first obtaining written authorization from the employee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption