Am I responsible for HOA fees on a vacant condo that was included in a discharged Chapter 7 and it was not reaffirmed?

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I responsible for HOA fees on a vacant condo that was included in a discharged Chapter 7 and it was not reaffirmed?

It was discharged and was not reaffirmed. The home is vacant and I reside in another state. The condo has not been foreclosed on yet so the state still has my name listed as the property owner/tax payer. Am I responsible for the HOA fees? The HOA says I am.

Asked on August 24, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Colorado


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Generally, speaking, you are still liable for the HOA fees as long as you own the property.  HOA fees accrue on a yearly basis and pass from one owner to the next. 

However, you may not be liable for all of the fees depending on your HOA agreement and how the HOA fees were handled during bankruptcy.  Several variables could affect your obligation to pay the HOA fees.  First, you mention that the condo is still "in your name," but if you no longer own it, then you need to get the paperwork transferred over to the new owner so they can start picking up payments.  A second factor is how back HOA fees were handled during your bankruptcy.  IF your delinquent HOA fees were also discharged in bankruptcy, then you would only be responsible for the new fees that have accrued since the bankruptcy.  A third factor is your actual agreement.  Sometimes HOA will have "out" clauses.  If you have something in writing that says you don't have to pay fees "when 'x' event occurrs", then you may have additional contractual relief.  If you're not sure which exceptions do or could apply to your situation, then consult with your bankruptcy attorney.  If possible, amend your petition to include the new debt they have assessed against you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption