Am I responsible for paying for hazard insurance after the bank has foreclosed on my home?

UPDATED: Jul 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I responsible for paying for hazard insurance after the bank has foreclosed on my home?

My home was foreclosed on 1 year ago and the judge stated that I had to be out by the end of the year. I moved out and after I did the bank went and changed the locks on the home. I just received a letter stating that I owe for hazard insurance on the home even though I am no longer able to get into the home; in fact I will be arrested for trespassing if I am on the premises. Am I still responsible to pay for this insurance?

Asked on July 24, 2011 Wisconsin


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You do not owe for hazard insurance on a home in which you do not live; however, you may owe back escrow monies on the home if these were advanced paid by the mortgage company before the foreclosure the so the lender can become the first lienholder. Ultimately, you need to find out whether your state allows for deficiency judgments. If your state allows for deficiency judgments, those could be something held against you in a lawsuit and then you need to decide based on your current situation whether or not you have the option to file bankruptcy to avoid payment. Consider at least speaking with a lawyer. There are law associations and organizations like legal aid that are no cost or low cost.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption