Am I responsible for debts incurred by my contractor?

UPDATED: Nov 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I responsible for debts incurred by my contractor?

Hired a concrete contractor for porch and sidewalk work. He did a fine job and seemed a good person. Now his concrete supplier is coming after me for his non-payment for the concrete and the rate they indicate is more than 3 times the norm. The contractor has not returned my calls. He was paid and his creditors are coming after me.

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good question. If the subcontractors have pre-liened your property where the work of improvement that the subcontractors provided materials and services you could be repsonsible for paying them what they claimed owed. The issue is whether they perfect the lien and file suit against you.

Ultimately your contractor is responsible for paying the subcontractors. I would not pay your general contractor any money until the payment of the subcontractors is resolved. You might wish to consult with an attorney experienced in construction law after you get in tough with the general contractor about the subcontractors.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption