Am I responsible for debts created before I reached age 18?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I responsible for debts created before I reached age 18?

Before I turned 18, I had run into medical problems and sought medical help and the bills all came to me. I was unable to pay and the bills all went into collections. Some of the collections turned into garnishments. In addition to those, my mom opened a bank account with me when I was around 14. She was like a co-signer on the account I think. I had written bad checks on the account when I was 17. The checks went into collections and I am now being garnished for those as well. I did credit counseling and they disbursed payments to some of the debts, but isn’t my mom responsible not me?

Asked on September 12, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In all states in this country a minor and his or her parents (legal guardians) can enter into agreements, receive benefits or incur services where they are legally responsible for the payment of such. This seems to be the situation for you.

In short, it appears that you are responsible for debts incurred as a minor since there has been a judgment or judgments against you by creditors where levies upon some of your bank accounts have resulted to satisfy in full or in part your obligations owed.

If you wrote bad checks as a minor from your own checking account, then you are responsible for the results which ended up being a judgment against you that has been or will be paid.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption