Am I responsible for anything outside of my apartment unit?

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I responsible for anything outside of my apartment unit?

I may have to go to court to fight cable theft charges. Apt complex is bad, I have letters of break-in of the rent box, mail, etc. from the office. Also, pics from 2 separate months were cable company boxes are busted open from each bldg. Case is being dismissed in justice of the peace court/disputed citation. Now I get a letter from some rep of the cable comp that I can settle, 1500 + 2yr contract or go to court, 10k max fine. Hints they have proof I watched cable, not true. Can they really prove this? Should I dispute or settle to get it over with? Am I liable for outside of my apt?

Asked on June 12, 2009 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

With many crimes involving theft, the corporation that was allegedly stolen from will contract out with a law firm to send these types of letters to all of the defendants who were arrested for theft from their company.  The idea is that many defendants will prefer to settle rather than risk disputing the charges.  What this means, in a practical sense, is that these defendants basically just write checks to the firm, which is basically found money for them.  In my experience, I have often seen individuals accused of shoplifting receive these types of letters; however, I do not see why the general business model does not transfer to individuals accused of cable theft.  In my opinion, many of these operations are basically scams - the victim turning the tables and stealing from the accused.

The first thing to look for is whether the letter that you received is from an attorney, and if so, whether that attorney is licensed to practice law in the state where you live.  If that attorney is not licensed to practice law in that state it is a very good indication that there is no real "teeth" behind their demand, as they would not be able to file suit.  Another way that you may be able to determine that this is a scam is from the amount of money that is being demanded.  In other words, most attorneys charge at least $250/hour.  Therefore, from an economic sense, it would not make sense for an attorney to file a lawsuit seeking to recover $1,000.00, due to the fact that it would likely take more than four hours of work to recover the money via a lawsuit and therefore it would not be worth their time.

Thus, if the amount demanded is relatively low and it is being demanded by an attorney not licensed to practice law within your state, these are rather strong indications that you are being scammed.  

Nevertheless, any time you are being threatened with civil liability it is a good idea to discuss the matter, in detail, with a civil litigation attorney in order to determine the scope of your potential liability and merits of your potential defenses.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption