Am I responsible for an office visit co-pay if the service was inadequate?

UPDATED: Nov 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I responsible for an office visit co-pay if the service was inadequate?

My insurance is appealing their claim for the visit because I decided to go to another doctor. The office at which I had the inadequate consultation is saying that I still owe them the $20 co-pay since I was services. I feel since the service was inadequate and I had to pay the same co-pay again because of their mistake I should not owe the money. I realize it is only $20 but it is the mere principal of the situation. Could you offer any legal advice for this issue?

Asked on November 21, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you honestly believe that the medical services that you were to pay a $20.00 co-pay for was inadequate and you have a basis for asserting this contention that is valid, then you should not have to voluntarily pay the $20.00 amount.

I would write your insurance carrier about the situation, the reason why you do not believe you should pay the $20.00 co-pay, keep a copy of the letter for future reference and see what the response is to your letter. I would also speak with someone with your insurance provider as well about the consultation that you were not pleased with.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption