Am I required to pay half the family deductible for health care?

UPDATED: Jul 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I required to pay half the family deductible for health care?

I have been divorced now for 2 years. In my divorce decree it states the health insurance of the minor children shall be under the mother (because it is the most cost effective) and each parent shall pay half medical bills/co-pay expenses. My ex-wife is now wanting me to pay for half the “family deductible” at the beginning of each year whether the deductible is going to met or not. She is not family, the kids are. We are divorced. If she takes me to court for this will I be obligated to pay for her deductible? I pay half of all health care costs now.

Asked on July 30, 2012 under Family Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Depending on how case law goes you could be obligated to pay a portion of the money.  The numbers would have to be figured out.  But I would argue that this calculation should only be done at the end of the year because for all you know you have already paid it in paying half the medical costs. Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption