Am I required to donate to a charity through payroll deductions?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I required to donate to a charity through payroll deductions?

I work for a major insurance company in the state of
Alabama. We are required to give our ‘fair share’ to United
Way through payroll deductions. Also they amount we are
forced to contribute goes up every year. Is this legal?

Asked on January 19, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Generally, an employer's request for charitable donations is not improper unless it uses intimidation tactics (i.e. threats, coercion or discrimination) to obtain the donation. Asking for charitable donations is not illegal so long as no one is forced to contribute. However, if you were going to try and prove that you were force to donate, you would have to prove that some sort actually took place. However, if you do have proof, it would be considered to be a form of workplace harassment, which again is actionable. At this point, you should contact your state's department of labor and/or consult with an employment law attorney for further advice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption