Am I Owed payment immediately?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I Owed payment immediately?

I live in Colorado, and I am not aware of how it works all over the US, but if you”re terminated, the employer must pay you within 24 hours, minus a few exceptions. I recently had a dispute at work, walked out and then talked to a manager about switching shifts to avoid future disputes. They agreed. The day of my paperwork to switch departments, the manager informed me that the other managers and them had agreed to move on from me. I brought up my point about final pay in the subsequent correspondence they said I walked off and my status was not terminated. They had merely discussed me. Am I misreading the situation or are they backing off from paying me in a legal timeframe?

Asked on March 15, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you "walk out" your employer may legitimately consider that resignation or quitting: you can resign by actions as well by words, and wallking away from your job is to literally leave it. In your state, if you resign or quit, you have to be paid at the next regularly scheduled payday, not earlier: they only owe you your final pay within 24 hours when the company terminates you, not when you leave them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption