Am I obligated to pay for an entire plumbing billif extensive damage was done to my home?

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I obligated to pay for an entire plumbing billif extensive damage was done to my home?

A well known plumbing company did some plumbing work in my attic. Extensive damage to a bedroom was sustained the 1st day when the plumbers left off a fitting and turned water on. Another leak occurred the following day in another room. The company did replace carpet padding and damaged furniture. However, I had to take 2 weeks off work to allow contractors access to my home (to repair carpeting, ceilings, etc.). They also did not clean up the attic following work. We have not paid yet. Can I ask for compensation for my time off work and inconvenience? They are asking for payment in full.

Asked on July 26, 2011 Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You have a claim for damages caused by the plumbing company for negligent work that it performed at your home. You are responsible to the plumbing company for the reasonable value of the services they rendered for you. Offsetting the both, one receives a net amount.

Unless there is a personal injury claim, one normally does not receive compensation for taking time off of work to take care of a problem such as the one you have at your home. You can ask for lost wages and inconvenience, but I doubt that the plumbing company will pay such.

In your case, the measure of damages is typically the cost of repairing the damages by the plumbing company. The cost does not ordinarily include lost time from work and inconvenience.

Good question.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption