am i obligated to give money to spouse outside of our dissolution agreement?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

am i obligated to give money to spouse outside of our dissolution agreement?

My spouse and I signed a dissolution. He makes more money than me. My daughter lives with him. He did not ask for child support and I did not ask for spousal support. He is keeping the house and cars. He is asking off record for additional money monthly until August. Which is to go towards furniture that I took with me when I moved and a cell phone that is now turned off. I have been giving him money monthly with no record of it. He said that it also helps with the care of our daughter even though I still provide financial support to her as well.

Asked on April 2, 2018 under Family Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You do not have to provide *him* any money or compensation outside the terms of your agreement; the agreement settled you obligations to him and his to you. Obviously, there are circumstances in which you may choose to either give him money to help or may enter into some transaction with him (e.g. buy something from him), but that is voluntary--the agreement again resolved what you and he owe each other.
If he has physical custody of your child, he may be able to get child support from you--child support is for the child's benefit, not yours, so the agreement between you and him doesn't necessarily prevent it, if it was not addressed and settled already in the divorce. It's one thing if the agreement set child support--that is enforceable. But if the agreement doesn't mention child support, he may be able to get it from you if he is the custodial parent (e.g. by going to court for it).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption