Am I obligated to give money to my deceased cousin’s children for land?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I obligated to give money to my deceased cousin’s children for land?

I have 88 acres of farm land and 8 of the acres belonged to my late cousin. She never paid taxes on the land; I have been paying the taxes for the past 25 years or so. Since she is deceased her children came to me and want money for the land. Am I obligated to give them anything?

Asked on August 20, 2016 under Estate Planning, Arkansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Paying taxes on someone else's land does not make the land yours or give you ownership rights over it, especially in a case like this, where paying the taxes on the land could be seen as the "rent" you were paying for the right to farm or use the land. If the land was not left to you, but instead went to your cousin's children, then they have the right to either kick you off the land, or to lease it to you (if you are wiling to pay the lease price they ask), or to sell it to you (if you are wiling to buy it); it is their land, not yours.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption