Am I oblgated to use the money I receive from an insurance claim for repairing my damaged property?

UPDATED: May 21, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 21, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I oblgated to use the money I receive from an insurance claim for repairing my damaged property?

If my car was damaged at work and the repairs are being covered by my employer’s insurance company, am I then obligated to use the money I receive for repairing my vehicle at the body shop that I had estimate the cost of repairs?

Asked on May 21, 2009 under Accident Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'd recommend talking to an attorney before you spend the money.  Ordinarily, insurance companies dislike paying for a loss that's covered by someone else or their insurance;  in an extreme case, you might be accused of insurance fraud, and you absolutely don't want to go there.

For reliable advice, all the unique facts of your case are important, and it sounds like there is more to this than you've put in your question.  One place to find a qualified lawyer is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption