If you were tricked into marriage, can you get it annulled?

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you were tricked into marriage, can you get it annulled?

I married my wife in NC 13 years ago. The following year we had a son. A year later we moved to another county in NC. Then 10 years ago she told me  that she wanted us to renew our vows seeing as we were in a new county. I told her it didn’t matter that we were in a different county that we were still married but I did it anyway. Last week I found some papers of a divorce she filed with her first husband. The marriage was 16 years ago and lasted 2 years. The divorce papers said the divorce was official in 2000. She was apparently was still married to her first husband when I married her and she “forgot” to get a divorce until we moved here. She never told me about any of this. Is our original marriage void? Can she be arrested for this? Are we now married because of our vow renewal marriage? Can I get the vow renewal marriage annulled?

Asked on August 27, 2011 North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I can surely understand how upset you must be at the circumstances.  Let me first explain about annulment in North Carolina.  Annulment is granted in your state under very limited circumstances.  There are only a few grounds under which the court will allow it.  From what I have read it is unclear that the facts that you state here would give rise to grounds for annulment in your state.  Now, although the first marriage was void because she was still legally married to someone else, the second marriage was not.   I think that you should seek consultation about divorce rather than annulment.  But think about this: you have a son.  And although no one disagrees that your wife should have come to you and explained the circumstances as they really were, she may just have been scared to lose you and the family that you had,  Fear makes people do crazy things.  So take a deep breath and give the situation some thought.  Put yourself in her shoes.  You may think differently.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption