Am I liable for damage caused to a neighbor’s vehicle by my fallen tree branch?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I liable for damage caused to a neighbor’s vehicle by my fallen tree branch?

An old oak tree branch randomly fell into a neighbor’s driveway, damaging a friend’s vehicle. I’ve filed claim and paid tree service already. My insurance company seems to think act of God but a few pictures and those present seen some decay on the tree. I want lady to have car fixed but in no way can I afford to based on her estimates.

Asked on December 28, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You are liable IF you were at fault: if you were aware of an enhanced risk beyond that normal to any/all branches (e.g that the branch or tree was visibly sick, dead, or dying) but failed to take steps to mitigate (reduce) that risk despite knowledge of it. So only if you were at fault might your insurance pay for this claim. The lady/your friend should probably have had comprehensive insurance on her car, to make sure repairs would be paid for even when no one was at fault.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption