Am I liable for damages if I tow somebody out of my driveway?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I liable for damages if I tow somebody out of my driveway?

A lady came to my house to purchase farm fresh eggs. She decided to back out of
my quarter mile driveway in the snow because she claimed there was not enough
room by the house to turn her car around which there was plenty, I turn my car
around all the time. She proceeded to back down the driveway and took out part
of my fence. My husband pulled her car out and broke the front bumper. She
claimed this on her insurance and now I might have to pay for it. What are my
rights in this case?

Asked on January 26, 2017 under Accident Law, Wisconsin


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The lady is liable for negligence for the damage to your fence.
Your husband is liable for negligence for the damage to her car caused by towing.
It would be advisable to refer the lady's property damage claim to her car to your auto insurance company.
It would be advisable to file a claim with her auto insurance carrier for the damage she caused to your fence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption