Am I legally responsible for the health of my wife while being pregnant from another guy

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I legally responsible for the health of my wife while being pregnant from another guy

Dear Madam, dear Sir,

I am Canadian and my wife is not. My wife got pregnant from another man and
now she asks me social security services because she does not want to pay to
give birth…I am Canadian and she is not that s why her status depends on me
apparently. I told her to ask her ‘tough boyfriend’ to take care of the fees
because I do not see any reason to help her out after cheating on me… Anyway, I
just would like to be sure I am not legally responsible of her health because I do
not want to support the pregnancy….. It would seem ridiculous but I am aware
that laws are not always fair….. If somebody has some feedback, would be
greatly appreciated, thanks

Asked on July 19, 2016 under Family Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Speak to a family law attorney. There are ways to disclaim responsibility over another man's child, but they will involve proving it is his (e.g. by a paternity test, if he and/or your wife do not admit it in a legal document) and also having you legally disclaim parentlal rights. Doing this is not necessarily simple or easy, because the law presumes that if a woman is married, her children, conceived during marriage, are the children of her husband. Therefore, you need to go against the normal state of affairs and the law's strong preference to treat children born during marriage as the children of the married couple. That is why you need an attorney's help to do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption