Am I legally married?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I legally married?

My boyfriend and I went to apply for a marriage license last year. He’s currently incarcerated and I am raising our child by myself. The marriage license was never returned to the courthouse. Am I legelly married? I’ve spoken to an attorney and was told that the marriage isn’t legal but the courthouse says it is a legal marriage. I was told to buy a duplicate license and have my boyfriend sign it. He returned it unsigned. So what can I do to get the license anulled? Also, what do I need to do get sole custody of our daughter?

Asked on August 22, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Applying for a license is one thing.  Having an official ceremony that was signed by the person performing the marriage and filing it is another.  The "courthouse" can not claim that the marriage is valid with out a copy of the signed (and officiated) license.   Get legal help about it all.  You are going to need it one way or another.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption