Am I left holding the bag if I get a divorce for loans taken out in my name?

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I left holding the bag if I get a divorce for loans taken out in my name?

During our marriage, my husband has taken loans under my name (which I signed) for various projects. It wasn’t until recent that I found out he’s been using the money for other means (supporting another woman in China) than the original reason he gave me. If I were to file a divorce, will I be stuck with the loans since it is under my name?

Asked on February 20, 2012 under Family Law, Massachusetts


Trevor Clement / Law Office of Trevor A. Clement, LLC

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you can show the probate court that the debts were for joint marital expenses, then the court can order that he has to repay some or all of the debts.

However, even if the probate court orders that he pays everything on all of the loans, the creditor can still sue you personally and demand that you pay the loans.  The fact that the judge has ordered him to pay them doesn't mean anything.  Sure, you can bring an action against him in divorce court to force him to pay it, but it won't stop the creditor from coming after you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption