Am I expected to disclose an expunged DUI in a Private School application

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I expected to disclose an expunged DUI in a Private School application

the question for Azuza Pacific University asks ‘ Have you been found guilty, or responsible for, any criminal or military offence, excluding traffic violations, either as a juvenile or an adult? Its yes or no. If i answer yes, I have to explain it, and Im not sure how it will affect my admittance into the program. So can I answer no, if my DUI is expunged?

Asked on February 12, 2019 under Criminal Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you may answer no if the DUI was expunged. When a charge or conviction is expunged, it's as if it never happened: the record of it is sealed and you do not need to disclose it. That's the entire purpose of expungement, after all: to give you a second chance and fresh start, without the criminal record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption