Am I entitlled to a check written to my exwife and myself written to the mortgagor?

UPDATED: May 27, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 27, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I entitlled to a check written to my exwife and myself written to the mortgagor?

I did deed the marital home to her in the divorce agreement and was not on the title when the house was sold in a foreclosure sale. However my name was never taken off the mortgage so I was still the mortgagor when it was paid off but did not hold title.

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The answer to your question lies in your divorce agreement.  It appears from what you have written that you may have negotiated the issue of the house and the sale when you and your wife were divorced. 

Also, more facts are needed here.  It appears that the money for the sale in foreclosure went to pay off the mortgage.  Are you talking about money what was left over after the mortgage was paid off?  Again, you need to seek the advice of an attorney and preferably the one that represented you in the divorce.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption