Am I entitled to workers compensation?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I entitled to workers compensation?

Im experiencing cognitive deficits and volume
loss in brain due to night shift, overtime and
sleep deprivation.

I have been under doctors orders to be off the
last 3 weeks. Testing and MRIs have confirmed
there is real medical condition I am
experiencing. I am to also return to work with a
modified schedule for my health and safety.

This has also resulted in workplace stress.

Asked on July 31, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, you are not, because you have not suffered a discrete "injury" at work. There is no compensation for any impacts on you due to long hours, night shifts, stress, or sleep deprivation (which are not considered "injuries" for this purpose, anyway) for the pragmatic reason that then most of the workforce would have claims for compensation, which would cripple the economy. And also for the legal reason that employement in this nation is "employment at will": not only does that mean that the employer can terminate you at will, but also you can quit at will. If you find a job too stressful, the hours to long, or the shifts not good for your lifestyle, you can--and are expected to--quit and seek other employment. If you continue working there, by voluntarily doing so when you do not have to, you give up any claims and "assume the risk" of working under stressful, late night, etc. conditions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption