Am I entitled to more compensation?

UPDATED: May 26, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 26, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I entitled to more compensation?

I broke my ankle walking out my friend’s front door and will be having surgery. Her insurance company sent me $1000, saying that is the maximum amount allowed. I have not cashed the check yet, but I know I will have physical therapy after the surgery, loss of work for a few months, and other expenses. Am I entitled to more compensation?

Asked on May 26, 2009 under Insurance Law, New Hampshire


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'm not a New Hampshire attorney, but this doesn't sound right, and I think you've made the right decision, not cashing that check.

Whether or not the insurance company owes you more money or not -- and I can't tell you that it's absolutely so, since there might be a policy limit involved -- if the law holds your friend liable for your injury, you can sue her.  I know that nobody likes to sue a friend, but I have also seen the consequences of a broken ankle in other cases, and $1,000 is a drop in the bucket here.

You need to talk to an attorney in your area, take along whatever you have received from the insurance company (the letter will have the name of the adjuster on the file, and a claim number, which the attorney will need if she or he takes your case), and review all the facts of your case, to get reliable advice.  One place to find a lawyer who can help you get fair compensation for your injury is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption