Am I entitled to lost wages if I did not sustain an injury inan accident?

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I entitled to lost wages if I did not sustain an injury inan accident?

I am a rural route mail carrier. As part of my job I use my personal vehicle to deliver the mail. While on making a left turn, someone passed me on the left causing substantial damage to my vehicle, but fortunately I did not sustain any physical injuries. While repairs are being made I am unable to perform my job duties and am losing wages everyday my car is in the shop. Do to the nature of my job I cannot use a rental car to deliver mail and very few vehicles can be used without significant changes being made.

Asked on July 26, 2011 Maryland


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Although you were not injured in the accident, you can still claim wage loss because under the circumstances you described, you cannot perform your job while your car is being repaired and there isn't any feasible alternative to using your own car for delivering mail.  The amount of lost wages you are claiming will require supporting documentation from your employer.  You can file your wage loss claim with the insurance company of the driver who caused the accident.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption