Am I entitled to compensation for being on uncontrolled standby 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?

UPDATED: May 15, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 15, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I entitled to compensation for being on uncontrolled standby 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?

I work in California as an hourly employee for a company that is contracted to service and maintain machinery at another facility. My company is in MA, and I am the only one in California who can respond to these calls. It is worded in the contract that they must have an employee respond in a “timely manner” any time, any day, which the customer expects to be 2 hours. This has prevented me from being able to leave town or do anything that would inhibit me from being on site within two hours of a call. Is this something I should be compensated for? It has been twelve years.

Asked on May 15, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, California


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you have agreed to do a job for a given hourly rate and you can choose to leave if you want.  You are an at will employee that can be fired for good bad or no reason at all.  You were hired based on certain terms and each year that has gone by that you performed the job is basically a contract. The employer is not requred to pay you more.  I suggsting asking for a raise.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption