Am I entitled to anything of my grandpa’s if I wasn’t listed in his Will but my late father was?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I entitled to anything of my grandpa’s if I wasn’t listed in his Will but my late father was?

My dad died before my grandpa and I wasn’t listed in the Will. Am I entitled

to anything?

Asked on September 16, 2018 under Estate Planning, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It depends on how the will was written. A will can be written so that if one of the heirs or beneficiaries dies, his/her share goes to his/her own heirs (e.g. left to the heir "per stirpes," which means that the heir's heirs get and share in his share if he/she dies before the person making the will [known as the testator]). Or a will can be written to say that if an heir or beneficiary predeceases (dies before) the testator his/her heirs do not get his/her share, but instead it goes to other people. Either way is legal and enforceable; it depends on what the will said.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption