Am I entitled to alimony if I was married to my husband for 12 years ?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I entitled to alimony if I was married to my husband for 12 years ?

My husband and I never had children and no
assets to split up. Can I still get alimony being
that he always made more money than me.

Asked on May 17, 2016 under Family Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The purpose of a spousal support or maintenance award is to help the receiving spouse become financially independent after a divorce. Spousal support is money a legally married husband pays to his wife while they are still married.  So long as the husband and wife are married; maintenance is money an ex-husband pays to his ex-wife after they get divorced (some people may still call this alimony). Just how much, in any, and for how long is a matter for a judge to decide. There are many factors, including the legnth of the marriage and income.
Here is a link to a site that you may find to be of help:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption