Am I entitled to a refund of the sales tax on a cancelled auto extended warranty?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I entitled to a refund of the sales tax on a cancelled auto extended warranty?

I purchased a used car and an extended warranty. I cancelled the extended warranty within 30 days, and the booklet said I was entitled to a full refund. I received the basic amount but the dealer says I am not entitled to get the sales tax back. I think I am. What is the law?

Asked on January 4, 2012 under General Practice, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If as part of your purchase of a used car you also purchased an extended warranty which could be cancelled within the first 30 days for a full refund where you paid sales tax on the extended warranty, you are entitled to a full refund. Meaning, the price you paid for the extended warranty and the sales tax as well under your agreement.

When I return things to the hardware store, I get the price I paid and the tax as well. Your situation should be no different.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption