Am I entitled to a refund for prepaid rent?

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I entitled to a refund for prepaid rent?

I am a teacher and do not get paid over the summer. I budgeted my pay and paid the two months rent for the summer months I do not get paid ahead of time. I have lived in my apartment past the 12 months and came into a disagreement with my landlord (non-financial). I am required, per the rental contract, to give 30 days notice before I move out. I gave 60 days notice on the 27thof last month that I was moving out at the end of next month. However, I found an apartment everal weeks ago (on the 30th) so I gave a updated 30 days notice for the end of this month. I paid for this month’s rent ahead of time and I also paid my last months rent whenI moved in.

Asked on August 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If when you actually move out of the rental that you have occupied for some time there is pre-paid rent that you have paid the landlord where you technically do not owe any money for time left on the lease, your former landlord is required to return this pre-paid rent to you within 21 to 45 days of move out depending upon the state you reside in much like the return of one's security deposit.

You seem to be entitled to a refund of your pre-paid rent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption