Am I entitled to a refund if an accomodation that I booked was unsanitary and we refused to stay there?

UPDATED: Apr 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I entitled to a refund if an accomodation that I booked was unsanitary and we refused to stay there?

I used an online accomodation service to book an apartment. This web site faciliates hosts listing their properties online and faciliates financial transactions between hosts and guests. We turned up to the apartment to find pubic hair in the bed, blood stains on the sheets, and other stains on the bedding. Bathroom covered in mould and towels dirty. We felt unsafe in the unsanitary environment so we left and booked a hotel room. The company is refusing to refund our money because the next day, the host offered to “reclean” the apartment and we declined. They are treating it as a “cancellation”.

Asked on April 18, 2012 under General Practice, New York


Richard Southard / Law Office of Richard Southard

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your first step would be to contact the Better Business Bureau.  This is exactly the type of complaint that they can resolve.  I'm sure the online accomodation does not want this kind of negative publicity out there on the web.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption