Am I eligible to collect unemployment once long term disability stops

UPDATED: Jun 3, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I eligible to collect unemployment once long term disability stops

My son suffered a brain innjury and I have been out on disability due to sever post traumatic stress. short term from 11-08 til 5-09 I was just approved for long term. Once my company was notified of approval they terminated my position and sent me a letter stating this.Do I need to report this to unemployment and once long term ends and hopefully am able to go back to work, will I be able to collect unemployment

Asked on June 3, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am unsure in your situation because your employer usually only has to hold your position (when non work related or otherwise) for I believe 3 months.   Not sure if you can then qualify for unemployment -- you probably can but it is best if you direct your question to your state's Dept of labor. 


Here is the link:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption