Am I eligible to collect monies from a class action lawsuit that my late father was involved in before his death?

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I eligible to collect monies from a class action lawsuit that my late father was involved in before his death?

The claims are just now being processed. Can a collection be made on behalf of his estate?

Asked on January 22, 2014 under Estate Planning, Louisiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Sorry to hear about your father.

Yes, you can receive the amount he would have received from the class action lawsuit.  See the postcard or other notice that came in your father's mail to contact the administrator or law firm handling this matter.  Some of these places don't require any additional information for you or the estate to receive the funds; others may require additional documentation such as a death certificate.  Whether or not additional documentation is required for you to receive your father's share varies from case to case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption