Am I eligible for permanent resident or citizenship?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I eligible for permanent resident or citizenship?

I currently have F1 visa, under OPT program and working in the U.S. My visa expire in 10 months.

I have been here for more than 8 years, from high school 8 years ago, and went to University and graduated this May.Am I eligible for permanent resident or citizenship?Is so, how likely will I be able to get, and if not what do I need to become eligible?

Asked on November 18, 2017 under Immigration Law, Massachusetts


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

you are not eligible for either.  in order to get citizenship, you have to first be a permanent resident (green card) for 5 years (3 if you are married to a US citizen).  in order to get a green card, you have to either be petitioned for it by a us employer on the basis of a valid job offer or by a qualifying family relation such as a spouse, parent, child, sibling.  do you have a job offer from your employer?  can you get them to offer you a  job and then start the employment-based permanent residence process?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption