Am I covered under the UDAP law?

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I covered under the UDAP law?

My husband just bought a used vehicle from a dealer. He’s had it for less than a week and started having major problems with it. He discovered that he can start it without the key in the ignition and he’s battery keeps dying it will start one minute than won’t the next. He was never told that it could be started without the key. The dealer sold it to him as is with a limited warranty and told him he had 30 days to return it if he didn’t like it. He called the dealer to tell them he was bringing it back and the dealer told him that he couldn’t.

Asked on February 13, 2012 under General Practice, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under the Unfair and Deceptive Acts Practices law (UDAP), a commercial business owner cannot make misleading statements or conceal important information from a consumer about the item purchased. If the dealership knew there were problems with the car sold to your husband and failed to disclose such information to him, UDAP may apply.

I suggest that you contact your local department of motor vehicles and make a complaint against this particular dealership as to what happened. In some states, the department of motor vehicles regulates car dealerships such as the one your husband bought the car from.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption