Am I covered under the SCRA and can they charge me for getting out of the lease early?

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I covered under the SCRA and can they charge me for getting out of the lease early?

I just enlisted but havent been to basic yet and am trying to get out of my lease. I gave them my ship date and they will let me out but only on the day I go to basic. I researched the service members civil release act and was wondering if I am covered, and wether or not they can charge me any fees. They are asking for a consession fee. If covered, do i have the right to get out of the lease earlier than the date I leave?

Asked on August 24, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act, if you are i the military and are being deployed away from where you have a rental, your landlord is required under the law to terminate your lease for the unit you have upon thirty (30) days written notice from you. I suggest that you do so.

At most under federal law you would be responsible for thirty (30) days of rent to your soon to be former landlord. You do not have to pay any concession fee. You might wish to consult further with a landlord tenant attorney about the matter you are writing about for more assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption