Am I allowed to be driving if I was pulled over and cited for first offense OWI?

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I allowed to be driving if I was pulled over and cited for first offense OWI?

I was not informed whether or not I can drive.

Asked on July 14, 2019 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

In most states, as a general rule, you have about 10 days to request a hearing with the DMV from the time of your arrest. After you request a hearing, there is a stay on the suspension, meaning you can drive as if you normally would. The DMV will send you a notice of the determination. Just note, there are 2 suspensions that you get with an OWI. The first is from the DMV and the second is if you are found guilty in court. You should consult directly with a local criminal defense attorney who handles there type cases and go over the detals of your case. They can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption