Am I able to void an agreement to purchase property and recoup monies paid, if I lost my job?

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I able to void an agreement to purchase property and recoup monies paid, if I lost my job?

2 years ago my significant other and I agreed to purchase a piece of property (less than an acre) from our neighbors. We agreed to purchase this land under the terms of $1000 down and $100 paid monthly until paid in full; total purchase price was $3000. We were able to honor this until I lost my job a year ago. Since becoming unemployed and having our income cut in half, we have been financially in dire straights to the point of almost losing our home. We still owe $500 on this agreement. Can we back out of this agreement and recoup our money?

Asked on August 12, 2011 Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately you cannot rescind (back out of your agreement) your purchase of the property from your neighbors as a result of loss of your job and not being able to afford making the $100.00 monthly payments where the balance owed is $500.00.

One's inability to make payments on an agreement does not justify its cancellation and the return of all monies paid to date.

If your neighbors wish to rescind the purchase of the parcel by you voluntarily, you and they can reach a whole new agreement in writing "cancelling" the property's purchase and the return of an agreed amount of the money you have paid to date if that is what you and they desire. However, they are not required to do this.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption