Am I able to sue for wrongful termination?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I able to sue for wrongful termination?

I was a lead, not manager, of the company warehouse. I was fired due to an act of an employee under my supervision. I did not participate in the act, but was present performing another task while the other employee broke company policy. Myself and another employee that was present were fired from the job while the employee received no consequences.

Asked on April 1, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unless this action violated the terms of an employment contract or union agreement, it was legal. The fact is that not all employees need be treated the same or even fairly. That is so long as no form of legally actionable discrimination is a factor in their treatment. In other words, if your being fired was based on your race, relgion, age, disability, gender, etc. then that would be illegal (however you did not indicate that to be the case). Basically, most employment is "at will". This means that a company can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit. This includes who to fire and why (in fact a worker can be terminated for any reason or no reason at all). Accordingy, based on the limited details given, it appears that you have no recourse in this matter. That having been said, to be certain, you can consult directly with a local employment law attorney who can best advise you further after gong over all of the facts of your situation. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption