Am I able to sue an individual, whom I co-signed a lease with, if sheterminated the lease without notifying me?

UPDATED: Dec 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I able to sue an individual, whom I co-signed a lease with, if sheterminated the lease without notifying me?

I co-signed a lease to an individual who ended the lease without my knowledge and without notifying me. She did not do the proper step of giving a 60 day notice; she only handed in her keys (while I was on vacation). Now I have a $4017 collection from the apartment complex that is being sent to collections.

Asked on December 27, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you may sue her: you were a party to the contract, and her breach of the contract's terms has cost you (or will cost you) money. You could potentially sue her for all your liability under the lease, since you incurred that liability due to her breach of the lease; you may also be able to collect other costs, such as the cost to move, store belongings, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption