Am I able to request alimony after the divorce is final?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I able to request alimony after the divorce is final?

Hello My husband lost his job in March while we were going through our divorce.
His counsel petitioned the court for support from me even though I made a quarter
of what his salary was previously. We agreed to eliminate the Alimony/Spousal
Support on both sides and he has since found a job after the divorce was final in
April. Am I able to petition the court for new spousal support now that he has a
new job?
Thank you,

Asked on June 21, 2016 under Family Law, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Changed circumstances such as a change in income are grounds for a modification of spousal support.
File an Order To Show Cause requesting a hearing on modification of spousal support with your declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts.
Include a proof of service verifying the date of mailing a copy of all your documents to your ex or his attorney that you file with the court.
Check with the court clerk because the required documents may vary from state to state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption