Am I a U.S. citizen?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I a U.S. citizen?

I’m sending this email in regards to my citizenship status. I would like to get

a clarification on whether or not I am/could be a U.S. citizen. According to

information found online, some sources imply I am a citizen already and some

imply I’m not. Any clarification on this matter is much appreciated. I was born out of wedlock 20 years ago to a Swedish mother and an American father. He was born in Israel 51 years ago and naturalized to become a U.S. citizen 30 years ago. I have grown up and lived in Sweden all my life but have kept a steady contact with my father who has lived in the U.S. for 38 years. We have met at least once a year since I was very little either him visiting me in Sweden or me visiting him in the U.S. According to the website of the U.S. embassy in Sweden, I might already be a U.S. citizen since my father has been physically present in the U.S. for over 5 years at least 2 of which were after he was the age of 14. He has also acknowledged paternity but did provide financial support until I was the age of 18.Is this true? Should I file Form N-600? If not, are there any other ways for me to obtain American citizenship through my father?

Asked on September 19, 2018 under Immigration Law, Pennsylvania


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It is a tough call in terms of what your connection and his involvement in your life has been over the past 20 years.  You can try to submit an application if you can also come up with all the supporting documentation, but i don't have too much faith in the feasibility of this .

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption