Allstate is acting in bad faith after a theft on my property. What is my recourse?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Allstate is acting in bad faith after a theft on my property. What is my recourse?

They have delayed responses. Refused to answer my questions in writing. They have undavlued my property and refuse to give me full-replacement value. They have closed my case many times but have told me it was opened. they didn’t give me full coverage. I requested a change of agent and they denied my request. I am ready for a full battle. I have no question that what they have done is wrong.

Asked on July 29, 2016 under Insurance Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You sue your insurer. You would sue them for both breach of contract, since the insurance policy is a contract--i.e. for not paying you the amounts which, under the terms of the policy, they are contractually obligated to pay--and also for "breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing"--or violation of the obligation, added by law to all contracts, that the contracting parties (i.e. you and the insurer) deal wth each other fairly and in good faith.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption