Is alimony terminated upon remarriage?

UPDATED: Jan 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is alimony terminated upon remarriage?

I am paying alimony to my ex-wife who is planning on remarrying and already has a child with her fiance. I still have 4 more years left of payments. Does her remarriage terminate this or do I need to take her to court to change the terms?

Asked on January 1, 2012 under Family Law, Hawaii


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Please double check this information with an attorney in your area.  It is my understanding that under the law in Hawaii, alimony terminates upon remarriage of the receiving party. It is also my understanding that it is the responsibility of the alimony recipient to notify the payor - you -in writing within 30 days of the remarriage.  Now, that being said, this should be written in your divorce settlement that established the alimony payments.  Please read your agreement and the court order that incorporated the agreement.  You should consider applying to the court to modify the order when she remarries just to be on the safe side.  You also may want to check and see if there is a cohabitation clause, meaning that you may be able to terminate the alimony upon cohabitation and not wait for actual remarriage.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption