How to reduce or terminate alimony payments?

UPDATED: Jun 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to reduce or terminate alimony payments?

I have been divorced twice; the first time 10 years ago. In this marriage we had 4 childern, all now older than 21 and none in school. My income is about the same as then. I have taken it back once to try to reduce the $2900 amouth I am paying. right now there this no end date unless one of us dies or if she remarres. She got more then half of the assets and has the right to better herself. But with this income why would she want a job? I am looking for a strong attorney to help me on my case.

Asked on June 30, 2012 under Family Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written about the spousal support/alimony issues that you have, you should consult with a family law attorney to see what can be done to have the monthly amount that you currently reduced.

In most states in this country, the spouse that receives alimony does so for a limited amout of time pending the spouse going back to school to possibly get a decent paying job or during a set time period where the court orders such spouse to seek gainful employment.

If you have been paying spousal support for a long period of time it makes no sense why your former spouse has not been searching for a job or getting a college degree during the period of you making the payments where after a set time period the payments end.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption