Alabama Teacher Tenure

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Alabama Teacher Tenure

I was an Assistant Principal for 3 years and 7 months. Based on AL tenure laws, after your third year you are tenured. My employer has reflected my pay as if those 6 months were awarded as a full year. At the time of my last full third year, they terminated me without cause and said those ^ months didn’t count toward tenure but my pay has always reflected that the year counted.

Asked on August 20, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Whether they paid you more than they strictly had to is, unfortunately, irrelevant: tenure is based on time actually worked, and if the employer choose voluntarily to pay you based on more than time actually worked, that does not affect the tenure calculation. That the employer may have been generous in some ways does not bind or obligate them to be generous in all ways.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption