What can I do if my former employer is claimingthat theycan’t afford to pay me, including nearly 100 hours of accrued overtime?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my former employer is claimingthat theycan’t afford to pay me, including nearly 100 hours of accrued overtime?

My former employer has not been paying overtime wages to anyone on staff for nearly 10 months. I recently quit, expecting my final paycheck on the regularly scheduled payday, including my accrued overtime. She’s claiming that because I walked, she can’t afford to pay me. She said I might get half this week, I might get half next week. There’s over $2000 involved here, and I can’t pay my bills, including rent. What are my rights?

Asked on August 22, 2011 Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You are entitled to be paid for the work you did, which includes being paid for overtime, and your quitting does not change that (you must be paid for all work done up to quitting.) As a legal matter, the company's lack of money is not a valid reason to not pay, though, of course, if they have no money, you may have the right to be paid, but won't receive compensation. (On the third hand, if the company is not a corporation or an LLC, you may be able to sue the owner(s) personally.)

There are two ways to get wages owed you and not paid: one is to sue, another is to file a complaint with the labor department. And even for suing, while you should ideally retain an attorney, for small amounts, it's sometimes worth representing yourself. You should probably consult with an employment attorney--many provide a free initiail consultation--to evaluate  the situation; the lawyer can advise you of your options, including whether this is a worthwhile case to bring through the attorney, or whether you may wish to consider other options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption