What are y rights if a hospital released me too soon after surgery?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are y rights if a hospital released me too soon after surgery?

After I had surgery I was sent home after only about an hour in recovery. I was barely coherent and needed help getting dressed and had to be reminded to breathe. After I got home I stopped breathing completely and my friend had to call 911 and do rescue breathing until paramedics arrived. I was taken back to the ER and was told I had a reaction to the pain medicine I was given after surgery. Can I sue the hospital and make them pay for the resulting bills from this incident? Would I be awarded anything further for emotional distress?

Asked on September 12, 2012 under Malpractice Law, Nevada


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Medical malpractice suits are very difficult and expensive to bring, and they take a very long time to prosecute.

Are you OK now?  If you are OK now, I would contact the hospital that released you too soon, tell them what happened, and ask them to pay the bill for your return to the ER.  They may be willing to pay it or, if it is the same hospital, eliminate it.

You can speak with malpractice lawyers in your area, but I doubt that your damages justify the expense of a suit.  I am sorry.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption